Pre-Order the upcoming album, Mutineers by David Gray, and get a limited* autographed CD Booklet with purchase!
Twenty one years since his first studio album, David Gray's tenth and latest, Mutineers, finds the singer-songwriter steering into unfamiliar territory while cultivating a pugnacious but respectful relationship with his own history. "I think if you're going forward with an open heart, good things will happen," says David. "You have to sort of tear up the past and let it go."
"I always write melody first and lyrics second, so I started to write lyrics down and think, right, I'm going to put this to music now. And that was a bizarrely uncomfortable process. And I was layering my voice; something I just found myself doing on a lot of the new tracks. Again, to get away from the density of my voice, just the intensity of it, it's so loud, it's so intense, it's so direct - so singing more softly, singing in falsetto, singing under the voice in a lower voice, finding new sounds, so that it was still me, but it sounded different."
It's a shift instantly audible on Mutineers, an album whose ancestry David sees as more in the neighbourhood of John Martyn's 'Small Hours' perhaps than its predecessors in his own catalogue. As well as the change in tone there's a rising sense throughout the record, from the opening affirmation of "Back In The World" to its conclusion, of an artist liberated from even his own expectations.
David's collaborator, producer and occasional combatant during this raid on new horizons was Lamb's Andy Barlow. "His brief was - don't let me make the same record I've made before, take me out of my comfort zone. And he's a very gentle kind of guy, but courageous. He really took me on creatively in a way that no one else has ever done. So I thought, yeah, this is going to work, but it was a tortured process because I found it so hard to take at times that he would tear up bits of my work in front of my eyes!"
Out of the apparent traumas of that procedure "tears, furniture getting thrown," something more sublime began to emerge. "I was reaching, I was feeling for things rather than knowing and placing, and something far more interesting happened, and there's such an authority about any recording that's made in the heat of the moment when you're actually discovering it as you're recording it."
Mutineers then, is an experiment that seems to fizz with the joy of its own assembly. The sound of a musician making a clean break and some sharp turns but also reconnecting with the freedoms of an earlier dream, a rebuke and a salutation to all that's gone before.
Deluxe Edition of Mutineers includes Cascade, a previously unreleased double live album recorded during a June 2011 show at the Royal Festival Hall in London as part of David's 'Lost and Found' tour.
Also available with Autographed CD Booklet:
David Gray's North American Tour Dates:
- 8/1 - Blue Hills Bank Pavilion - Boston, MA
- 8/4 - The Theater at Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
- 8/5 - The Tower Theater - Philadelphia, PA
- 8/7 - Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, MD
- 8/8 - Uptown Amphitheatre at the Music Factory - Charlotte, NC
- 8/9 - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, TN
- 8/11 - Red Hat Amphitheater - Raleigh, NC
- 8/12 - Chastain Park Amphitheatre - Atlanta, GA
- 8/13 - Farm Bureau Insurance Lawn - Indianapolis, IN
- 8/15 - Jacob's Pavilion at Nautica - Cleveland, OH
- 8/16 - PNC Pavilion - Cincinnati, OH
- 8/17 - Meadow Brook - Detroit, MI
- 8/18 - FirstMerit Bank Pavilion - Chicago, IL
- 8/20 - Paramount Theatre - Denver, CO
- 8/21 - Red Butte Garden - Salt Lake City, UT
- 8/22 - Idaho Botanical Garden - Boise, ID
- 8/23 - Edgefield - Troutdale (Portland), OR
- 8/25 - Marymoor Park - Redmond, WA
- 8/26 - Queen Elizabeth Theatre - Vancouver, BC, Canada
- 8/28 - Paramount Theatre - Oakland, CA
- 8/29 - Silver Legacy Resort Casino - Reno, NV
- 8/30 - The Joint @ Hard Rock Hotel & Casino - Las Vegas, NV
- 8/31 - Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre - San Diego, CA
- 9/3 - The Greek Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
*Offer valid only with purchase of Mutineers. This special offer is valid for both domestic and international orders. CDs shipping with promotional items are limited to (5) per customer. Autographed CD booklets will be available while supplies last, newburycomics.com will post information when autographed booklets are sold out.